raw | vegan | refined sugar free
1½ cups (250g) dried activated buckwheat groats
1½ cups (180g) dried activated pecans
150g medjool dates, pitted
1/3 cup (80ml) melted coconut oil
345g medjool dates, pitted
½ (65g) ripe banana, mashed
¾ cup (210g) smooth peanut butter (good quality 100% peanuts)
½ cup (125ml) coconut cream
½ cup (125ml) melted coconut oil
1 tbsp mesquite powder (see notes)
1 tsp himalayan salt
2 (400 ml) tins of coconut cream
2 medium, ripe bananas, thinly sliced
2 tbsp raw dark chocolate shavings
- Place the 2 tins of coconut cream, for the topping, in the fridge overnight (24 hours is ideal) so that the cream separates and sets on top.
- Place dates for the caramel, in a bowl and just cover with cold water; stand for 30 minutes. Drain and set aside.
- Grease a 25cm (10-inch) fluted, loose-base, tart tin.
- For the base, pulse the buckwheat in your Vitamix into coarse crumbs; transfer to a mixing bowl. Pulse pecans into coarse nut flour and add to buckwheat in bowl; mix to combine.
- Blend the (unsoaked) dates for the base into a paste. Add to buckwheat/pecan mixture, along with the coconut oil and mix until well combined. Press mixture into base and up sides of prepared tart tin; using the back of a spoon to press firmly and even out. Refrigerate until required.
- For the caramel, place drained dates into your Vitamix container along with all remaining caramel ingredients and mix to combine with the tamper before blending. Then blend until completely smooth, using the tamper to press the ingredients into the blades and stopping occasionally to scrape the sides of the container.
- Spread caramel over base and smooth top. Refrigerate for 1 hour or until set.
- Remove pie from tin and place on serving plate. Arrange banana slices on top of caramel.
- Without shaking the cans of coconut cream, remove from fridge and open. Carefully, spoon out the thick cream that has set on top and place in a metal mixing bowl. Using a whisk or electric beaters, whip cream until peaks form. Spoon on top of the banana (alternatively, spoon the thick cream directly from the tin over the bananas) and scatter with chocolate shavings. Serve immediately.
Mesquite powder is available from most health food stores and gourmet food stores. It is slightly sweet with a distinct caramel flavour. If you cannot get mesquite, it will still be delicious without it and we suggest adding 1 teaspoon vanilla bean powder instead.
If using the Vitamix S30, in step 4, you will need to blend the buckwheat groats and pecans in two batches. In step 6, blend the soaked dates into a paste before adding remaining caramel ingredients.